All students need 21 1/2 credits to graduate from Celina High School. In addition, you will need to pass all 5 parts of the Ohio Graduation Test: Reading, Math, Writing, Science and Social Studies. The class of 2016 also falls under the new Ohio Core requirements, which means you need to earn credits in the following areas:
- 4 credits of English
- 4 credits of mathematics (which must include Algebra 2 or the equivalent)
- 3 credits of science (which must include Physical Science, Life Science and Advanced Science)
- 3 credits of social studies
- 1/2 credit of health
- 1/2 credit of physical education
- 1/2 credit of computer literacy
- 6 credits of electives
- REMEMBER THAT IF A CLASS IS REQUIRED YOU MUST PASS IT TO GRADUATE! IF YOU FAIL A REQUIRED CLASS, YOU WILL HAVE TO RETAKE IT THE NEXT TRIMESTER, OR THE NEXT TIME THAT IT IS OFFERED. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A CLASS, SEE YOUR COUNSELOR!
College Entrance Requirements:
In addition to the basic requirements for graduation, many 4-year colleges will also require two years of a foreign language and a credit of fine arts. It is important to think about your goals so that you can plan your schedule over the next three years. Colleges will also require an entrance test such as the ACT or SAT. This is typically taken for the first time during the junior year.
Your High School Transcript:
Your transcript is a document that details your academic performance beginning in the 9th grade and continuing until you graduate. It is important for freshmen to understand that GRADES START COUNTING NOW!! Even these grades you earn during the first trimester will be on your transcript and will be included on your grade point average. Here is all that will be included on your transcript:
- Grades taken and classes earned
- Current Grade Point Average (the average of your trimester grades on a 4.0 scale)
- Class Rank (where you rank with the other students in your class...for example, the student who is ranked #1 would have the highest Grade Point Average)
- State Test Scores
- College Test Scores
- Graduation Date
Colleges and scholarship organizations will eventually use this transcript to evaluate you for admission or for awards. Each year at registration time you will receive a copy of your current transcript. It is important to check it carefully and see your counselor if you have any questions.